How do I take my dog for a walk if I use a dog fence?
After you have had your dog fence installation one of the most common questions we get asked at DogFence is “how do I take the dog for a walk?”.
It’s actually really simple. The DogFence installer will have trained your dog or cat to stay within the dog fence boundary. This is a reverse training protocol and usually takes the dog approx 7 – 10 days to feel fully comfortable with leaving the property.
There are 2 main points to observe:
- Never allow your dog to cross the boundary unless he has contact with you. This could be with the lead or by carrying him or simply having a hand on his shoulder.
- Never allow your dog to cross the boundary with his fence collar on – even with the system turned off.
To cross the boundary:
- Remove the dog fence collar and put it in a safe place. Do not turn off the fence.
- Pop him on his lead and walk him up to the exit.
- Ask him to sit or stop him before the boundary line (only for the first week).
- Give the command to walk and walk slowly out of the property.
- Give him praise when you have crossed the boundary.
- Repeat the process when you re-enter the property.
The best way to see how it works is to watch the lovely Lionel demonstrating how it’s done:
When we install a dog fence for you we will run through how to take your dog for a walk after. As with any new training, it may take your dog a few days to adjust to going out for a walk. If you would like to learn more about how we can give your dog freedom in the garden check out our web site.